20 March 2013 – Scooter Update #2 – Making Progress
OK, so we left off with the bike starting and running while connected to jump leads from my car.
First thing being first, there’s the issue of the battery that came with my scooter. I took it to Walmart and had it tested. They said there were no dead cells and that either distilled water or fresh battery acid just might make it work correctly again.
I tried the distilled water and put it on charge overnight and it had more power (a few sparks off the end of a pair of jumper cables), but it didn’t seem like too much. I drained the battery and re-filled it with fresh acid from the box in the above picture. I stuck the battery on the charger overnight, reattached the battery leads last night, and something amazing happened – IT WORKED
My scooter fired up immediately and ran without a problem
My next trouble to attack was the brake light. Anytime the key was on, the brake light would be on bright and a brake lever would not need to be pulled to start the bike. I pulled off the fairing that’s over the handlebars and started looking around. I pressed the starboard lever a few times and it clicked nicely. Nothing similar could be heard from the port side lever which controls the rear brake.
The brake light switch on the port side (for the rear brake) looks like this. It’s only press fit into the mount with the brake lever and what was happening is that it was just being pushed back out of its mount by the brake lever that was supposed to press the plunger. I grabbed some masking tape, gave it about 1 turn around the barrel of the switch housing, and shoved it back into its socket. After that, IT WORKS
I’m going to leave the handle bar fairing off until I can flush the front brake’s fluid sometime in the next couple of days. Once that’s done, it’ll be ready to go back together
While I was up at the front end of the bike, I noticed that the starboard marker light isn’t where it’s supposed to be. I saw it on while I had the bike running, but it’s just fallen back in the fairing somewhere. It should be easy enough to pull a few screws and reinstall that bulb. Worst case I’ll just fix it with duct tape or super glue
That’s about all I have for now. I’ll head on over to the auto parts store for a few parts and supplies during my lunch break and I’ll post another update as soon as possible
Have a great day, everyone
4 comments to 20 March 2013 – Scooter Update #2 – Making Progress
126 queries. 0.501 seconds.